Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spot of Texas Tea, Guv'nor?: Originially Published November 21, 2007

As I was driving home with my dad for this short break, I brought up the news item that oil prices today started at $99 per barrel, and gas is going to be more expensive (yes...more than now). My dad replied how it's amazing that none of the Democratic candidates have brought up this issue so far. When I said that all the candidates have said something about alternative energy, my father told me he meant the fact that for the past eight years, oil companies have been experiencing record profits, while the cost of living is growing in this oil-dependent society.

Once I got home, I began to explore this idea a little more. Sure enough, there are thousands of news stories about Exxon and BP and all the other oil corporations pulling record profits, and Democratic response has been minimal, at best. Now, I'm not one to directly accuse the Bush administration of playing a major role in this, but Dubya was a Texas oilman before entering politics, and people typically make friends in the workplace...

But I digress. Democrats need to bring up this point more often: during the Bush Administration, oil companies have experienced record profits, and the American people are paying more and more at the pump. The Democratic Party should make it a point to discuss this discrepancy, and present solutions. I hate to be crude, but people vote with their wallets. While there are those who vote for candidates based on their stance on the issues, or even through party loyalty, most voters want to make sure that the candidate they put into office will do what it takes to allow the average American to live comfortably.

Now, an oil company is a private entity. It exists to make profit, and I respect that. But is their such a thing as making too much profit? If gas prices reach a point where the majority of consumers are unable to pay, does that not defeat the purpose of a profit-making organization? Are private companies answerable to the public? Since the public is the consumer, I think so. We, the people, and our candidates have to take a stand, and say we won't tolerate this quasi-gouging (real gouging?) anymore, and if the oil companies can't/won't find a solution, then we will, and the candidate that rises up and presents the best solution will almost certainly be our next President.

Anyway, that's enough of my ranting. I wish everyone a safe, happy, and gluttonous Thanksgiving.

No comments: